What are the most common types of shade sails, and which is the best option for your business? Continue reading to learn more.
Shade sails are a great way to provide shading and sun protection for your residential or commercial outdoor area.
They not only transform an outdoor space and provide protection from the sun during the hot summer months, but are also an aesthetic addition to your establishment; on top of being a cost-effective shading solution as opposed to building permanent solid structures.
Having said this, it is not a surprise that the commercial use of shade sails has been growing in popularity and demand over the last few years.
According to the latest reports, by application, the commercial segment dominated the shade sails market in 2021 with a revenue share of 44.97%, and is anticipated to increase at a CAGR of 3.87% between 2021 and 2027.
Whether for residential or commercial use, purchasing shade sails requires doing some research on the options that you have at your disposal. They not only vary by shape, size, colours and materials, but also types.
In this article, we will discuss the most common types of shade sails that you can find on the market, what are the main differences between them, and which one would be the best option for your outdoor area.
What are the different types of shade sails?
There are different types of shade sails that you can choose from, but the most popular ones are flat, hypar and conic, each one with its unique shape and properties.
1. Flat shade sails
Flat shade sails are a popular choice for outdoor recreation areas and other spaces where protection from sunlight is needed.
They are constructed from one piece of strong, resilient fabric cut in a single plane without any curvature or folds, allowing for even coverage across the area that they are shading.
Flat shade sails can be rectangular or triangular, and they are tensioned between anchor points to create a flat surface. Among all types of shade sails, they are the most common ones, and are perfect for covering large areas where a flat surface is needed.
However, they can be slightly less effective in areas with heavy rain or strong winds, as they are more prone to sagging and collecting water.
Here are the benefits of flat shade sails:
– Versatility: they can be used in a variety of settings, including commercial and residential areas, and in a wide range of configurations including triangular, square and rectangular shapes;
– Easy installation: because there are no seams or joints in this type of shade sail, installation is simple thanks to the flat frame they have.
– Cost-effective: as opposed to hypar and conic shade sails, flat sails are generally more affordable because they require less materials and are easier to install.
Just like other types of shade sails, flat sails can be personalised to fit the specific requirements for any outdoor space. They can vary by colours, sizes and fabrics, allowing for a high degree of customisation to match the style and design of the surrounding architecture.
2. Hypar shade sails
Hypar shade sails (also known as hyperbolic paraboloid shade sails) are four-sided sails made up of a flexible fabric, with varying attachment elevations that combine to form a three-dimensional shape.
In contrast to flat shade sails, they have a curved top edge that allows them to be hung from poles or hooks rather than anchored to the ground. Their unique, twisted shape offers more stability and resistance to harsh weather conditions.
Hypar shade sails are typically used in larger public areas where a more sculptural and aesthetically pleasing design is desired.
Here are the benefits of hypar shade sails:
– Unique design – this type of shade sails has a distinctive, three-dimensional design that gives any space a modern, cutting-edge appearance. Their unique shape and design add an artistic touch to any outdoor area.
– Enhanced stability – as opposed to flat shade sails, hypar ones have a more stable and rigid structure. The main reason is because of the tensioned fabric along their two perpendicular axes, which increases the resistance towards heavy rain and strong winds.
– Increased durability – due to their enhanced stability, hypar shade sails are capable of withstanding harsh weather conditions, which increases their longevity. They are resistant to tearing, fading, and other forms of damage, making them a long-lasting and cost-effective shading solution.
This type of shade sails offers several advantages, which makes it a popular choice for any residential or commercial outdoor space. They are used for swimming pools, playgrounds, dining areas, patios, and even built for special events.
3. Conic shade sails
Conic shade sails are known for their cone-like shape, which is tensioned between multiple anchor points. They are a great shading solution for smaller areas, or if you are looking to add a unique design element to your outdoor space.
The sloping design of conic sails helps to shed water more effectively, making them a good option for areas with heavy rainfall.
The benefits of conic shade sails include:
– Wide design options: in conic shade sails, the center of the cone is supported by a sizable central post or floating central mast, opening up virtually endless design options.
– Protection from heavy rain: conic shade sails also provide an effective protection against heavy rainfall. Their sloping design helps to shed water effectively, reducing the risk from structural damage as a result of water pooling.
– Suitable for smaller spaces: among the different types of shade sails we discussed, conic ones are typically more suitable for covering smaller or medium-sized spaces as opposed to bigger ones.
They can be installed in a variety of different configurations, and are incredibly versatile for a wide range of applications.
Why do you need custom shade sails for your business?
If you are deciding between different types of shade sails, we can help you make the right decision for your residential or commercial outdoor area.
All of our custom shade sails will be designed according to your requirements, giving you complete control over type, shape, size, colour and fabrics.
Let’s sum up all of the benefits they provide:
1. Provide protection from the sun’s harmful UV rays
Did you know that overexposure to ultraviolet sun rays is the root cause of more than 80% of the cases of skin cancer worldwide?
All types of shade sails have one thing in common: they provide solid protection from the sun’s harmful effects, blocking up to 99% of the UV rays, and giving people the opportunity to spend more time outdoors worry-free.
2. Increase traffic to your outdoor area
Adding shade sails to your outdoor area attracts a lot of people who are looking to spend more time under the sun, and take a breath of fresh air – especially during the warmer months.
This could result in your customers spending more time outdoors, which increases traffic to your outdoor area and could potentially result in more sales for your business.
3. Enjoy more versatility
Shade sails have garnered immense popularity due to their remarkable versatility.
They are widely deployed in commercial and residential settings, including swimming pools, car parks, schools, cafes and restaurants, playgrounds, and retail outlets like hotels and marketplaces.
4. Add aesthetic value to your outdoor space
An outdoor area with a great aesthetic value not only attracts people who want to appreciate its beauty, but can also increase your Instagram exposure as more photos of your area will be added to the social media channel.
Sail shades can help you create visually appealing and pleasing spaces, as many shade sails are available in various designs, styles, and colors.
5. Cut costs on installation
As opposed to permanent structures, most types of shade sails are simple to set up because they require very little equipment for installation.
Shade sails can be easily installed in most areas using appropriate attachment points or anchor posts. Because of this easy handling, they are used in many residential and commercial applications.
6. Maintain your shade sails easily
Shade sails are designed to last outdoors with little maintenance. They are primarily self-cleaning in areas with typical rainfall, and if the rain isn’t doing its job, simply hosing them down will keep the dirt and leaves from piling up.
7. Adapt them to your branding purposes
Commercial shade sails may be the ideal solution for ensuring that your branding is consistently present. Shade Sails come in a variety of colors to choose from. This can provide additional branding opportunities to make an impression on your customers.
Types of shade sails: which is the best for your business?
As we just discussed, there are multiple types of shade sails that you can choose from: flat, hypar, and conic.
Which one will be the best for your business will mostly depend on your personal needs and preferences, although it’s important to consider that flat and hypar sails are more suitable for larger spaces, while conic sails are more suitable for smaller areas.
Choosing the Perfect Type of Shade Sails
No matter your business needs, there’s always a perfect shade sail that can transform your outdoor space.
With the correct type of shade sail to reflect both aesthetic appeal and practicality, businesses have the potential to increase customer satisfaction.
Flat, hypar, and conic are just three types out of many available options – so it pays off to invest wisely in the best option for your business. With proper installation and maintenance, you’re sure to reap all the benefits of installing a quality-made shade sail that will last for years!
Are you ready to get started? Get a quote in minutes!